Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!!


Ten things I loved about my birthday:
#10) I celebrated it in the Caribbean sunshine instead of the snow this year.
#9) "Happy Birthday" was the first thing I heard as Ed whispered into my ear. P.S. This is the way everyone should start their birthday--but not with Ed :)
#8) I talked to my sister Karen first thing. We share the same birthday and she is always offering to switch ages which makes me feel young no matter how old I get. Imagine a pesky little sister who always reads your love letters, snoops in your diary and tags along to high school basketball games because you are forced to babysit her. That little sister would be me. Then, to really ruin your life she was born on your birthday so you're sharing that with her too. What are the chances? I always wanted to be just like her. Get married in the Manti Temple and have a little boy and some girls. Guess some dreams do come true! My sister is the best.
#7) My mother remembered and called me early (Don't laugh. She forgot one year and given the above post that means she forgot 2 birthdays. It was painful.) I listened to her tell me what I should be worried about which made me feel like a kid again. I lovingly told her to get a life. Not a chance. Thank you mom for my life!! I love it!!
I also talked to my other mother "Grampp." She is worried about hurricanes already. I guess it's a mom thing.
#6) Carli called me early because she had a nightmare and needed Mommy :) She remembered my birthday too, but first things first!!! I love it that she is still my baby girl even though she has lived all alone in NYC and now LA. I am so proud of her for graduating from AMDA and can't wait to see her perform when I visit next month. Carli--just so you know, this list is not in ascending order of importance so don't be upset that you're not listed next to #1!!! I miss my car-car. She loves telling everyone that she is the self appointed favorite child, sister, aunt, etc.
#5) Picture this: Summer sitting on the edge of my bed in her jammies, eyes slightly open, hair pulled back into a tossled pony tail from slumber. Barely awake she still manages to pull some wit. "Let's see,' she begins, "I think there is something I need to tell you...." "Hoppy?... no, no Hippy?... No it's HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" She breaks into a grin that she doesn't like to share often because she wants braces and we haven't found a trustworthy orthodontist on island. I love her smile. I laugh and tickle her for teasing me. She makes me feel young (and a little "hip"py too)!
#4) Holly's voice calling down the hallway "Happy Birthday Mom!" I love the sound of Holly's voice and can't bear the thought of not hearing it in my house when she leaves us alone in paradise next fall. Wait, this is supposed to be a happy post :( Holly's stories of her charmed life entertain me. She is always jetting off to a prom here or a party there and then sharing the pics and details with me. I just watched home movies of her at age 6. Can we turn back time please??? Can I have that little girl with the raspy voice back for just a day so that I can pick her up and wrap her arms around my neck and hold her all to myself? Who knew my little blondie would grow into such a dark haired beauty???
#3) Cute Kelli called to say, "Hi! I'm teaching but I wanted to call and say Happy Birthday!" I always feel like a failure when it comes to homework with my kids. I love telling people that my daughter is a high school english teacher who is almost finished with her master's in education. It garners respect somehow, as if I could take credit for her hard work--wink, wink. I am so proud of her for teaching right through her chemo. What a fighter!! I love it that she is healthy and that I was with her for the worst of it. It was great to take care of my little girl and know that even if she's married to the perfect husband--adorable Kyle-- she still needs mom when she's sick :( Can't wait to see you in two weeks sweetie!!!
#2) My wonderful son called from sunny Burbank where he is living his dream working for Disney. I am so proud of the man he is. He is a great husband to sweet Mary and a good daddy to the cutest baby on the planet! Seeing how much he loves his baby makes me think that maybe now he understands how much I love him. I am so happy that I have the opportunity to mother a son and trust that he will take care of me and be nice to me in my old age... Eddie is so good. He took in his little sis Carli who is also a great help to him. Can't wait to visit next month and have the Disney experience from his inside perspective. What a blast!!
#1) Precious Allison and Fun Bobby just spent 10 days with us! They were flying standby with Buddy passes and got delayed getting out which meant they spent my birthday morning with me--Allie cleaned the kitchen and made the sweetest card--. They went to the airport around noon which was a real bummer. I was out for a couple of hours and on the way home I thought it would be such a fun surprise if I came through the door and they were here. They were not. The condo was so empty I cried and decided this was the worst birthday ever. I called Ed and he was interrupted with a call from Allison. They had been stranded at the Airport all afternoon w ithout our cell phone numbers. They overheard someone talking about Ed's project and asked him if he worked for Dart. He did. He had Ed on speed dial. I flew to the airport, giggling all the way. Turned into the best birthday ever with that reunion and a fun evening together. Allie always makes me feel great. "You're so cute Mom, etc. etc." She is so thoughtful and fun. We had a lot of laughs. I miss her and Bobby but will see them in two weeks! Can't wait.
So blow out the candles and bring on the years if it means I have more time with these wonderful people. I love my family!! I love my life. I am truly blessed.
Cheers!


6 comments:

  1. I told my mom since next year is the BIG one for Both of you; we need to make it a huge party on the Island!! Whooo hooo:) Glad you had a great birthday, with company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I love reading your blog, it is always so cute, funny and positive! I really started to miss your adorable family while reading this post. How blessed you are to have such an amazing family and how blessed I am to have spent so much time with them! I just set my blog to private and I don't know if I sent you an invite, so if you would like one, shoot me an email to erikabritt33@gmail.com.
    P.S. I will be in Utah in two weeks too!! Maybe we will cross paths:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am late...but, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I am glad you had such a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, I am glad that I made it on your list! HAHA Carli, it is in order of her favorites and I am above you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Denet, I really miss you guys.March 8th was my (big) one. I survived. I don't feel any older. Just wiser. Tell Summer the bangs are very cute. Love ya Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had an AWESOME B-Day, sounds like you did. I was thimking about you on the actual day but somehow lost track and didn't blog you in time, sorry. Happy B-day!!

    ReplyDelete