Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sticker Shock #2


No Summer is not leaving for vacation with a piece of carry on luggage--this is her back pack :)

Day one of school I was told by the office that Summer would need a rolling back pack as she would be unable to carry her load of books. They told me where to go in Georgetown and what type of back pack they recommended. What they didn't tell me and what I failed to ask was.... the price. That same day I ventured down to Georgetown and got caught in traffic. Directions here are another blog post but suffice it to say no one uses addresses or maps, they go by "landmarks" and if you don't know them..... 90 minutes and several trips through Georgetown later I arrived at the shop to find it closed. Everything closes here at 5:00 or 5:30. I reassure myself: At least now I know where to go. Sort of. I mean I have no idea how I arrived but if I did it once, I should be able to do it again right?

On Day Two of school I send Summer with a "Book Bag" of Holly's that is larger than the bag she had on Day One which was totally inadequate. She comes to the car on day Two struggling to carry the bulging bag and Holly remarks in horror "You tore my bag!!!" We weigh it when we get home. 18 lbs. and those weren't all of the books--and she only weighs 70 lbs.. Imagine carrying 25% of your body weight in books. I drop the girls off and head immediately to Georgetown. Miraculously I find a parking spot in an area that looks vaguely familiar. I grab the spot and begin walking, praying I won't get lost. I pass through a parking lot with a stray Rooster and within a block I am pleasantly surprised to smell the aroma of the KFC landmark that is right next to the bag shop. I emerge near the shop where I saw the "cute little red back pack with the monkey on the zipper" in the window the day before and rush inside, quite pleased with myself that I found it so easily and feeling a little less like a tourist. Before approaching the register, I check the price $188. I can't believe it but I am left without an alternative. There are no rolling backpacks anywhere else-- I did check. MY FIRST PAINFUL CAYMAN ECONOMICS LESSON: When you need something "NOW" on the island you are in TROUBLE. So plan ahead and only buy groceries here... (when absolutely necessary to sustain life)

Back Pack $188/ Relieved Daughter: Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment