Friday, February 20, 2009

Wholly Guacamole!!!


Have you ever seen an avocado this big?? It is about half the size of Summer's face. I walked past them twice, thinking they were mangoes and finally asked the produce man to direct me to Holly's latest craving. I seriously laughed when I saw them and I was told by the cashier that they get even bigger ones in. Okay so it cost close to $4 US but when you consider how many you'd have to buy in the states to equal the same amount...probably not so bad :)

We thought you might enjoy a few more little tidbits of information unique to the culture here on the island. The following are terms, phrases or pasttimes that are common here but new to us:

"Cricket" is a SERIOUS SPORT. I watched a bit while waiting my turn at the driver's license division. I made the mistake of asking one of several Caymanians glued to the tv if it was a cricket game. I thought it was baseball at first until I took a closer look and saw that it was a flat board and not a bat, and no one appeared to be running bases. After numerous explanations from eager Caymanians, I still don't get it. Dare I say I found it rather boring???

"Football Pitch"--otherwise known as the "Soccer Field" or maybe it is a part of the soccer field. Not sure yet. I only know it has nothing to do with Football as I've always known it :)

Gas is sold by the "Imperial Gallon"

Our Caymanian Currency has a $25 bill. I love it! Wish we had them in the states.

"Topping Up" This is what you do to add minutes to your cell phone. We chose the plan where you pay as you go. You simply go to a little machine--they have them all over town--or you go online to "Top Up" your phone. I love using the phrase. Holly makes fun of me for it!

"Robot" If you're from South Africa, like many of our friends, you refer to a stoplight as a "robot". That is seriously what they call them.

"I'll give you a shout." another way of saying "I'll call you."

"Four Half" otherwise known as "Four Thirty" when stating the time.

"Civvies Day": that celebrated day designated for leaving the uniform at home and wearing "normal" clothes to school. In addition to the last friday of each month, certain holidays apply :)

Summer is in Grade Six, not Sixth Grade. Holly is not a Jr. in High School, she is in Grade 11--if you mention "Junior" people look at you strangely.

While we're on backwards stuff, the date always throws me. Day first, month second, year last. Ed has resorted to writing the month instead of giving it a numeral.


And here's my favorite: The other day I was shopping with a hand held basket that I had overloaded. A kind older gentleman who worked for the grocery store commented that I had a heavy load. "Let me get you a trolley," he insisted and returned with a shopping cart. Charming! I think we should call them trolleys in the states :) Living in a new culture is a lot of fun. It's a big, beautiful world and I am loving it!



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you started a list- now I can copy it into my journal. :) I love the culture out here as well and it is funny because David and I have started speaking "Caymanian" at times.

    I especially like when the British say, "Brillian" or "cheers" or "holiday" (instead of vacation).

    Have you noticed that some locals change the arrangement of words in a sentence. For example, they will say, "You can hand me my purse?" instead of, "Can you hand me my purse?"

    I could go on and on. Thanks for updating- finally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!! The culture is definatly different here. Now that I can understand what all the caymanians are saying it is much better. I did have one when I was at the store and I asked if they had any wraps for eggrolls and finally found a guy that knew what I was talking about and he told me "they are finished" It then took me another minute of asking him questions to realize he ment they are "out". Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denet!!! I love love love your blog. It's so fun to read and hear how everything is different and all the funny words they are using. I'm so jealous Bobby and Allison are coming to visit! I want to come in their suitcase!!! Oh,,,, and what did you think of the bachelor?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denet..I love to read of all your adventures, I am doubled over laughing. Cayman sounds heavenly and the pics prove it!!! I am so happy to see you guys are enjoying it. I am so jealous...what I would give to have a back yard like yours!! Love to you!!

    ReplyDelete