Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sticker Shock #3


#3: "Mom I need a graphing calculator. It's expensive. You can get one at "Kirk's"."
I know where Kirk's is, it's the grocery store just before Georgetown on West Bay Road. While I'm there I can buy groceries!! Wow I am turning into such a local. Somehow I take a wrong turn. I know the beach is somewhere on my right. Eventually I turn enough times that I think I'm going west. Suddenly I'm in Georgetown, right where I wanted to go yesterday... (See earlier post).

I head back towards seven mile beach and eventually find Kirk's. I pull into the parking lot on the right side which is the wrong side and someone gives me an unhospitable gesture out his window which helped me recognize my mistake. I park and enter the store. After finding some hangers (8 for $.99) and feeling like I hit the jackpot, I ask someone where calculators are. I am directed to the aisle where a knowledgable sales professional is stocking the shelves. I approach her.

"I'm looking for a graphing calculator for my daughter for school. Her teacher said I could find it here."

The nice lady from the Phillipines gives me a quizzical look. "Oh, I'll bet she meant Kirk's office supply. Do you know Shedden road?"

I give her a blank look. She continues. "Exit the parking lot. Turn right. Turn left at the first signal. Go straight through the roundabout. Before the next signal is Kirk's."

Sounds easy. I thank her and leave. I exit the parking lot, remembering to look right before crossing the street to drive on the left. There's the first signal. Turn left, no problem. Straight through the roundabout hmmmm..... Well, if it were possible to drive straight through the roundabout instead of around and around, I would probably end up taking the 2nd left, right? Because the first left would be like turning left and the third left would be like turning right and the 2nd would be like going straight. Several blocks and an industrial park later I stop to ask the nice man from Ireland (red hair and an enchanting accent) if he can help me find Kirk's.

"Go back the way ye came... and take a left at the junction. Kirk's is on the right," he begins.

"Which left? Do you know the name of the street?"

He shakes his head. "No but it's the busy one. I hope ya find lots o' nice things ta buy there!"

I thank him and pull out of the parking lot.

A few turns later I am near the airport, an area I am familiar with and I know I am lost. I pull into another parking lot and walk into a furniture store. The lady behind the desk is an American, with an attitude.

"Are you familiar with the roundabout next to Foster's?" At this point I am not familiar with anything.

"Right at the Roundabout. Right at the signal. You can't miss it."

As I'm pulling out of the parking lot, I look left by mistake and begin to turn right into a lane of oncoming traffic. I am going to die. I correct myself and continue driving while shaking. I don't see anything resembling the building or any street signs that say Shedden road, even though I followed directions precisely. I pull into another parking lot ready to cry. Some man with an unrecognizable accent and very bad teeth smiles at me when i ask him for directions to Shedden road. "I'm looking for Kirk's office supply," I add.

"That's right next door. You can walk."

GLADLY!!!

When I arrive at Kirk's the Jamaican drumming on his leg leads me to the calculators which are gone. He takes me to the front to the lady behind the register. She greets me with a smile. "Special order only. 3-4 weeks delivery. You might try Lee's office supply," She gives me directions while patting my arm. She can tell that I've had a bad day. She speaks slowly in her Caymanian accent, "Turn left out of the parking lot. Stay to the left. Make the turn. Lee's is on your right."

I find it. They have it!!!!! I don't care how much it costs. $175. Hey, less than the back pack!!

Graphing Calculator $175/Not having to ask for any more directions: PRICELESS!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Denet, all 3 of these stories are hilarious! Sad, but hilarious! Sounds like you had your fair share of driving, AND money tossing! Your hair looks great Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I will still be in L.A. We will be here a few more years. So that's is great they are moving here where are they going to live? We are right by the temple. Well I would love to see you in April. Heck I will do your hair when you come. That sucks that everything costs so much! You can shop when you come to Cali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to catch up on what you are doing. I will love reading your blog. Yes, I just started a blog but have kept it private as I was hoping to use if sort of a journal, but after reading this, I may come out of the closet so we can share lives. I'll keep you "posted". Love you, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like quite an adventure!!! Can't wait to get there, 20 more days, not that I'm counting:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I can totally relate to those stories! It has been one month now and I am completely acclimated to the cost here which isn't a good thing. It isn't as painful to buy groceries now. Can't wait for Thursday night, let me know if you would like me to bring anything. Laura Taylor www.tayloringthegoodlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete